Thursday, September 3, 2009

Let's Chat Layering

One of my FAVOURITE techniques to use on my layouts is LAYERING. If you have taken one of my classes; viewed my layouts; scrapped with me on weekends; or chatted scrapbooking with me -- you will know that I love to take odds & sods (pattern paper, ribbon, embellies, etc.) and throw them on a layout to get a fast & easy result. I am addicted to layered layouts that I can finish in a breeze -- although I realize (& I preach!!!!!) that we are not in a race. However......I only have so much time in my day to scrapbook, so I like to be productive. I admit: I am NOT the technique-queen (I leave that title for others in my life -- you know who you are). There are not multiple techniques on my layouts that I can dazzle you with. But.......I do love to mix my patterns (fabric, paper or otherwise) and layer groups of embellishments around a title, journaling, or on their own.


Here is a layout using basic layering of pattern paper. The background paper of the layout is a Bo Bunny pattern paper as well. This makes the layout a tad bit busier, but I wanted the pattern paper on top to fade into the background paper, and not pop, like they would on a white, clean background. This way -- photo pops, not paper. I also layered crystal swirls, rub-ons & felt flowers on the bottom corner & upper left side of the photo.



In this layout, I layered a white Ki memories die-cut paper over a very neutral background cardstock. I then used patterned sticker borders to trim the bottom of the photos; a felt border stapled on the top of one photo; sticker letters, a journaling tag & some pop-dotted embellies to boot. Seriously, just stuff that was laying on my desk.....just itching to be used.


Here, I layered a cut out Hambly Transparency over my photo and added a bunch of things to give the layout visual interest: CutYourWay vinyl, ribbon stitched on using my sewing machine, pattern paper strips, a gem butterfly & flowers. I then added a rub-on title and continued the thought with my own hand-journaling. Background paper is from Fancy Pants Designs -- Kraft Kutz. Who doesn`t love their stuff.


This final layout is one of my favourite layouts of all times. Not only because it displays a great photo of two fabulous friends that I have made in this industry, but it also incorporates layering in such an easy way that anyone can do it. I simply layering strips of ribbon & pattern paper on each side of the middle pattern paper to frame the whole layout, and stitched through the patterned borders. I used four smaller photos (all the same exact photo) on the layout and added a pop-dotted title tag over-top of the third photo. I also snuck a Prima flower under the raised tag. Why........because I was layering.


enjoy the rest of summer.
from the farm,
j.


1 comment:

  1. Love your layouts as always!! Especially the last one... and my sentiments are the same my friend :)

    ReplyDelete